Sunday, November 7, 2010

Today was Today, Yesterday Was a Month.

Yesterday we celebrated thirty days of service here at YWAM, Kailua-Kona, we are now looking to finish well and serve strong for our last twenty-nine days.
It’s been an honor to have been led here by the Lord.
It’s been life changing to have been asked by the Lord to serve His Gospel spreading mission in some small way.
SUNDAY:
Today we worshiped the Lord at our favorite little Hawaiian church (300 people), it was the first church built in the Hawaiian Islands. It’s less than a ten minute walk from our little home, but a hundred and ninety years in the making.
I could sense its builders.
The massive Banyan tree covers its lawn and welcomes all to the tranquility that lay under its ever extended branches.
Ginger, Plumeria and Geckos are the guardians over its impressive, ancient, hand crafted doors.
Life fills its Lava rock walls, and the 190 year old timbers help support its roof and our praise.
I wonder as I enter, “Who was like me 190 years ago entering as I did today.”
The worship is awesome, we didn’t want the credible Pastor Derrick to preach and break its spell, but the spell is broken and then added to. Isaiah 61:1-3 ‘We are the solid Oak trees the Lord has planted for a purpose.” The sermon ministered to both of us in a simple way, not a life changing one, but a spiritual  one, one that ushered us into the presence of the Lord for a few, refreshing moments.
What is Sunday church for?
I think it is  a reminder of who we, and He are.
Without it, we trade places.
I am not any man’s savior, nor have I hung a star, so to worship Him on a Sunday, in a building that others hands have built, brings me to the place the builders and I have as common, historical, ground.  
He is God, and worthy to be praised, we are the worshipers, and worthy of nothing.
To be reminded of our places is God’s purpose of Church on this, the Lord’s resurrection day. Every Sunday, in every Church, in every location, is the anniversary of our Lord’s resurrection, the building is a reminder from saints of old that it is His death that has built our lives, and it is His building designed by His hands.......  both designed by Him, for Him, and through Him.
Today…was a very good day.
OUR FIRST 30 DAYS OF SERVICE:
·         YWAM is a great sending base camp, not for theology, but for knowing God, hearing God as He calls these wonderfully brave young and old souls to practical helps, this text in Isa. 61:1-3 says what they do best…The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion —to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.
·         I love the people of the Nations, all of them, all of the time.
·         I love growing through all the people, all of them, all of the time.
·         I’ve loved the physical work.
·         I’ve loved the discipline of every day.
·         I’ve loved helping God and this base in some small way.
·         I’ve loved walking and talking, walking and talking, walking and talking. No interference from the airwaves.
·         Kona is a sad, worn out, little town, its seen better days, but its beauty is still amazing. Sad, broken, poor choice, people sprinkle the ocean walls; they set under the huge Banyan trees as sentries of insanity and need. They are never not there, like the flowers, trees, Geckos, ocean and grand mountain views, they catch your eye. You can’t take in one, without the other.
·         When you have to stay in Kona for longer than a week, you sense its smallness, and yours.
·         I love the Island people, especially the Polynesians, I’m never sure their love for me is reciprocal, but that is a small price to pay for knowing them, loving them, loving their culture, and their history.
·         I believe my ancestors were Samoan.
·         I want some Samoan tattoos, but old white guys shouldn’t pretend to be what they are not, but of all the cultures I’ve met, this one fits me best, for their days our filled with laughter, as well as friend and family loyalties, they enjoy the enjoyment. I love, love, love to hear Samoan’s laugh. They're also great criers, and the toughest people on earth.
·         I’m more energized alone then by people.
·         I love interacting with all kinds of people.
·         I can smell home.
·         I can’t wait to see family and some old, California friends.

2 comments:

  1. we are sad we wont get to see you when you return :-( We will be moving to Minn on the 26th of Nov. But it has been such a joy to minister along side of you and to read of all your adventures in Kona!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who 'you calling old????

    ReplyDelete